PESHAWAR: Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Qamar Javed Bajwa on Friday confirmed death sentences awarded to 12 hardcore terrorists, who were involved in heinous offences related to terrorism, i.e. attacking armed forces/law enforcement agencies, destruction of educational institution, telephone exchange etc. and killing of innocent civilians.
According to the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), these terrorists associated with proscribed organisations were also involved in attacking Bannu and Dera Ismail Khan jails. On the whole, they were involved in killing of 99 persons including seven civilians, 92 armed forces/Frontier Constabulary/police officials and injuring 58 others. Arms and explosives were also recovered from their possession. These convicts were tried by special military courts. Besides, six convicts have also been awarded imprisonment.
Detail of each case is as under;
- Ghani Rehman s/o Fazal Rehman: The convict was involved in attacking Bannu/ Dera Ismail Khan jails, which resulted in death of two police officials along with four prisoners, injuries to 21 others. The convict was also involved in attacking the armed forces of Pakistan, which resulted in death of Captain Fasih Babar Amin along with three soldiers and caused injuries to 12 others.
- Abdul Ghazi s/o Sabeel Khan: The convict was involved in attacking law enforcement agencies which resulted in death of Lieutenant Colonel Muhammad Yousaf, Havildar Habib Gul, Havildar Muhammad Tahir alongwith three other soldiers and injuries to two others.
Ziaur Rehman s/o Peer Zada and Javid Khan s/o Noor Zada: Both the convicts were involved in killing of Major Khairul Haseeb (Retd), Superintendent of Police (Elite Force Bannu) and seven other police officials.
- Muhammad Zubair s/o Nawab Shah: The convict was involved in attacking law enforcement agencies and armed forces, which resulted in death of Captain Safer Khan, Assistant District Officer Karim Khan, Naib Subedar Muhammad Fayaz, Naib Subedar Fazal Wahid and 17 other soldiers.
5 Umar Nawaz s/o Khaliqur Rehman: The convict was involved in attacking law enforcement agencies, which resulted in death of Subedar Said Karim, Subedar Shoukat, Naib Subedar Akhtar Munir, 11 other soldiers, two civilians and injuries to 16 others.
- Sajid Khan s/o Sher Rehman: The convict was involved in attacking law enforcement agencies, which resulted in death of Subedar Janas Khan, Naib Subedar Kamran Khan, Havildar Sajid Khan along with eight other soldiers and injuries to two other soldiers. The convict was also involved in destruction of telephone exchange and an educational institution.
- Haibat Khan s/o Nadar Khan: The convict was involved in death of Naib Subedar Ali Amir, Havildar Badshah Khan along with 13 other soldiers. He was also involved in collecting funds for the illegal activities.
- Ahmed Shah s/o Lal Gul: The convict was involved in killing of civilian Mian Mushtaq, ex-Nazim of Awami National Party, Subedar Sahib Gul Afridi and Havaldar Namoos Khan (Retd).
- Baz Muhammad s/o Lal Said: The convict was involved in death of two soldiers.
- Momeen Khan s/o Noor Haleem Shah: The convict was involved in death of three police officials and injuries to another official as well as capture of three others. He was also found in possession of fire-arms and explosives.
- Suleman Bahadur s/o Gul Bahadur Khan: The convict was involved in attacking armed forces as well as firing on the houses of civilians, which resulted in death of a soldier and injuries to four others. He was also found in possession of fire-arms and explosives.
All these convicts confessed his offences before the judicial magistrate and the trial court.