PESHAWAR, 27 March: The Islamabad High Court was informed on Monday by the Interior Ministry that Facebook administration on the request of Pakistan removed 85 percent blasphemous contents from its site.
Interior Secretary Arif Khan submitted a compliance report to the court and said that Facebook administration had responded to their letter and expressed its willingness to remove sacrilegious contents from its site.
He argued that blocking social sites was not the solution of the problem. He informed that the federal government has taken ambassadors of 27 Muslim countries on board to highlight the issue on global level.
He further informed the court that three persons have been arrested on charges of spreading blasphemous materials online. He added that two of the arrested persons were directly involved in posting blasphemous content.
The secretary revealed that officials of the law enforcement agencies have found blasphemous contents from the laptops and mobile devices recovered from the possession of the accused persons.
Chairman of the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) Ismail Shah told the court that a team comprising 25 officials has been constituted to search blasphemous contents online, adding upto 40 such pages have ben blocked so far.
Chief Justice of the Islamabad High Court, Justice Shaukat Siddiqui appreciated the efforts of the government and adjourned the hearing of the case till March 31.
He also expressed displeasure over the role of the Ministry of Information Technology and said why the issue has not been resolved so far. The chief justice also sought a report on amendments in the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act 2016.
It merits a mention here that the Islamabad High Court on the previous hearing had set March 27 as deadline and directed the government to resolve the issue otherwise it would issue orders of blocking Facebook in the country.