PESHAWAR, 7 November: The death toll in the Lahore four-store factory collapse mounted to 45 on Saturday as more bodies were recovered from under the rubble.

Rescuers hoped that few trapped persons may still survive as a man trapped under the rubble has contacted his family. The rescue operation on the site of the collapsed factory is under way in full swing with the help of the Army personnel. The body of the owner of the factory, Rana Ashraf, has also been recovered.

Rescue officials said over a hundred survivors had so far been pulled from the wreckage of the Rajput Polyester Factory which manufactured polythene shopping bags. However, it was not clear how many people were still trapped under the rubble. The survivors said the factory was damaged in the earthquake and the owner ignored advice of avoiding further construction.

A spokesman for Rescue 1122 told media that out of 167 people trapped in the building, 109 had been rescued.

Earlier, an 18-year-old youth, Shahid, was recovered alive from the debris of the factory after 51 hours of the tragedy on Friday evening.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here