PESHAWAR: Lance Naik Zafar Iqbal, who was injured during operation at Hayatabad on Monday night, succumbed to injuries and embraced Shahadat on Sunday.

According to a press release of the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), the funeral prayer of the martyred soldier was offered in Peshawar Garrison. Corps Commander Peshawar Corps and large number of military and civil officials attended the funeral.

The body of the martyred soldier will be taken to his native town Khushab (Punjab) where he will be laid to rest with full military honour.

Five terrorists were killed and one policeman embraced martyrdom in a 17-hour standoff between the terrorists and security forces in Peshawar on the night of 15 April in the posh Hayatabad locality of Peshawar. Three security personnel were also injured in the operation.

Police conducted a raid on a house in Hayatabad Phase-7 after they received information that about six or seven terrorists were present there. When the police team reached there, the terrorists in the house opened fire on them. After conclusion of the operation, the security forces blew up the entire house.

Police said terrorists in the house were planning attacks on additional inspector general and a sessions judge. They said an explosives laden motorcycle was also found in the building which was to be used in some terrorist activity.

JI seeks judicial probe

The Jamaat-e-Islami has demanded judicial investigation into the Peshawar operation.

Shah Faisal Afridi, head of JI in Khyber tribal district, said at a press conference that there were some doubts about the nature of the operation, therefore, it should be properly investigated by an impartial judicial commission.

He said the people killed in the operation belonged to Khyber district. He said his party will also raise the issue in the Parliament. He claimed that there was no militant activity in the area and the action has created doubts among the residents.

The JI leader said a judicial commission should be formed without delay to look into the matter.

The house blown up by the security forces was owned by a person from Swat and he had rented it out to people from Khyber tribal district.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here