PESHAWAR, 28 October: The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) has said a number of areas affected by Monday’s earthquake have not been accessed as yet. It said the number of deaths may increase after access to these areas.

Talking to media persons on Tuesday, NDMA Chairman Major General Asghar Nawaz said the death of 248 people in the earthquake has been confirmed so far. He said most deaths occurred in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa where 202 people lost their lives, while 30 people died in FATA.

The NDMA chief said 4,500 houses and other buildings have been damaged in the earthquake. He said many houses have been destroyed completely.

Mr Asghar said 22,500 tents, 2,500 blankets, food and other necessary items have been sent to the affected areas. He said the Pakistan Army personnel will distribute the relief items. He said doctors have also been sent to far flung areas to provide medical aid to affected people.

Information Minister Pervaiz Rashid said that the banned organisations will not be allowed to participate in relief activities.

Earlier, a high-level meeting headed by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif at the Prime Minister House in Islamabad decided not to seek any foreign aid for earthquake relief efforts. The meeting also decided to announce a joint compensation package for the earthquake affected people with the KP government.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here