PESHAWAR: Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi has said that Pakistan would take the Kashmir dispute to International Court of Justice (ICJ), after India revoked special status for Jammu and Kashmir on August 5.
The foreign minister said this in interview with a private news channel on Wednesday. “We’ve taken the decision after considering all legal aspects of the Kashmir dispute between the countries,” Qureshi told the tv channel.
Government of Pakistan has said that they will not let any stone unturned until the people of Jammu and Kashmir are not been provided with their rights to self-determination. After India removed the special constitutional status of Kashmir on August 5, Pakistan reacted with fury, cutting trade and transport links and expelled India’s ambassador from the country.
Pakistan has also expedited efforts to talk the international community in confidence and press the Modi regime to stop human rights violations in Indian held Kashmir and resolves the issues as per the aspiration of the people of the Himalayan valley.
Mr Qureshi in his interview with the channel furthered that the case would be based on the human rights violations by India in Muslim-majority Kashmir. The minister said that India have imposed a complete curfew in entire Jammu and Kashmir regions since August 5. During this time, he added, thousands of innocent Kashmiri have illegally been detained by Indian security forces.
India’s foreign ministry has not yet responded to the Pakistani FM statement however, India has denied committing human rights violations in Kashmir. “Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has buried Nehru’s India,” Qureshi said while hitting out at the Indian government
Following India’s decision to revoke the special status of Jammu and Kashmir, Pakistan formally called for an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council (UNSC) to discuss India, Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi said last week.