MARDAN, 03 September: Authorities have claimed that the Friday’s suicide attack on Mardan district courts was carried out by an Afghan national.
According to the initial report submitted by the police, the suicide bomber was aged between 30 to 35 years. He came on foot and first fired a hand grenade on police personnel guarding the main entrance of the courts and then detonated himself.
The report added that the body parts of the suicide bomber had been sent for DNA test.
It further said that around six to eight kilograms of explosives were used in the attack.
The responsibility of the attack was claimed by Jamaatul Ahrar, a splinter group of TTP. According to police report, 13 people including three lawyers and as many policemen were killed and more than 50 were injured in the attack.
Meanwhile, Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan visited Mardan on Saturday and inquired about the injured people admitted in hospitals. He also visited the district bar room and offered fateha for those who died in the attack.
Talking to media persons the Interior Minister said joint investigations were underway about Mardan blast and Christian colony attack in Warsak to determine identity of culprits and their facilitators.
He said the war against terrorism was the war of survival of country’s future and politicizing the issue would amount to endangering the future.
He urged that we should not be divided over the issue by pointing finger at each other.
To a question, Chaudhry Nisar said that initial reports into the Christian colony attack had revealed that all four attackers of foreign origin who infiltrated into the area from the tribal areas. He said investigations were underway to probe their entry into tribal belt.
He said it was a matter of concern that militants were crossing freely from Afghanistan into Pakistan.